Monday, January 07, 2008

mommie soup... and cph progress...

Well...

This weekend... I got the call for 'mommie soup... and gathered up the ingredients for said animal for my sick girlies who are vegetarian... (If you wanted you could use a ham bone... left over chicken, what ever meat you wanted... )

1 pkg of multi-bean soup... 15 bean soup is grand, just don't use the seasoning packet
1 32 oz vegetable broth (I used the Swanson's broth, in a box...)
1 c rice
1 c barley
1 c split peas
1 pkg lentils

serves 6 with leftovers

I did the quick cook method for the beans...

bring the beans to a hard boil, and boil for 2 minutes... cover the pan, turn off the heat, and let it sit for an hour... dump the beans into a colander and rinse the beans well then place them back in the pot...

add the vegetable broth, then using the box, fill it with water and add that to the pot... 64 oz of fluid.

I seasoned with a bit of salt, pepper, thyme, saffron, curry, chili pepper flakes... you can add what every your heart desires...

bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally, then turn the heat down to medium low... and simmer for about an hour... adding water or more broth as needed...

add the rice, barley and lentels, and 3 more cups of water.

you will have a very thick hearty 'stoup' with enough leftover for freezing for later!

The other thing that I did was gather up yarns that have languished in my stash for way too long, and took them, and various other notions that I was gifted with a couple of weeks ago, to a friend who lives in Tustin... Hurray for de-stashing... (a little anyway - makes room for more... ) and spent the afternoon and evening watching videos, and knitting on the central park hoodie... I now have the back done, both the right front and left front done, and am about 90% done with one of the sleeves... I have enough yarn to do the other sleeve, and then I have to go to a shop such as Michaels... (somewhere that carries Lionbrand woolease) to get 2 more skeins... I know that the odds of finding skeins of the same dyelot are a gazillion to one... so I will settle for a different dye lot... but it will be fine! I think I will be finished with this by the 25th... maybe earlier!!!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Spinner of fiber, Knitter, Crocheter, Re-enactor